Weight Loss Surgery Update August 2005

Were do I begin since my last Blog.

February 28, 2005 was my last day at Ch2m Hill.  I went on to work for myself with one main contract in hand.  Things were going good and looking up as far as financial stability was going. The one thing that happened that was not good was I had to drop the family for medical insurance. I keep on with COBRA from Ch2m Hill.

May 3, 2005 – As I was typing an email to a client, I broke out in a cold clammy wet sweat from head to toe.  At that time I thought I had to go to the bathroom so I did and nothing but I felt really bad. So I got up and then went by the fan and told myself just  for a minute or two and cool off.  As I did that my chest started hurting. That is when I knew something was wrong. I was able to get up and grab my keys and head out for the house (stupid thing to do). I barely made it to the house when I told my wife something is wrong and to get me to the hospital. She wanted to call 911 but I told her to drive me to Mercy hospital. I arrived there at 11ish am and told the clerk I think I am having a heart attack. She told me to sign in about the time she looked up and saw me she said, wait come right back. She took my blood pressure and her eyes went wide and rushed me to the ER. That is when all the fun began, they did all kinds of things to me and stabilized me. My cardiologist Doctor Mendelhson had an EKG done on me before he got there. They decided to admit me and when I got up stairs to a room my cardiologist came in to talk to me. He basically told me that he would not be able to continue care for me.  That my heart condition has deteriorated tremendously. My Ejection Fraction was 10-15% and 2 months prior was at 30-35%.  He began to talk to me about seeing a specialist that deals in this kind of thing. I recall him saying heart transplant facility once but just thought it was a place that works on rehabilitating the heart.  Tammy and I said yes lets make the arrangements to go. I told him to talk to them and I would drive down in a day or two, well that is not what he had in mind.  At 7 pm that night I was life lighted down to San Francisco and taken to California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC). At 7 pm I was loaded up and flown to San Francisco and arrived in the hospital shortly after 9 pm. I was alone but in good hands. The nurses that flown down with me were extremely nice and supportive. Tammy was unable to fly down with me because of the kids. She in turn made arrangements for the kids and drive down the next day. My Dad and Uncle B drove down the next day as well.  So for the next 5 weeks I was in California Pacific Medical Center being worked up for a heart transplant and trying to rehabilitate my heart.

It was then recommended that I speak to a weight loss surgeon.  California Pacific Medical Center said that I needed to lose a 100 pounds to be a better candidate for a heart transplant.  They recommended and contacted Pacific Laparoscopy to come speak to me. They sent over a Physician Assistant to show me the different laparoscopic bariatric surgery.  Then Dr. Robert Rabkin came over to meet with me.  He then had his brother Dr. John Rabkin come in and speak to me and talk to me about what procedure they recommended for me. They want to do Vertical Gastrectomy see attached photo showing my surgery.  I agreed and they started the approval process with Blue Shield. During this time they sent Barbara Metcalf a very nice lady over to speak to me. She was so happy for me and looking forward to seeing my progress.  As you can imagine Blue Shield denied my life giving surgery.  Feeling down and out I told the cardiologist unless were doing some thing else it was time for me to leave. I would fight the insurance from home and not the hospital. They finally released me on June 7, 2005, just in time to see my daughter graduate from 8th grade the next night.

That brings us to the end of June. I filed an appeal with Blue Shield and for 30-days I called the case manager every day or every other day checking in and telling her this is medically needed.  I remember even crying on the phone a couple of times saying I did not want to die or have a heart transplant.  Then on July 22, 2005 I received a call from Blue Shield and I just knew they were denying me again.  The call was a great one… I WAS APPROVED!!!!!!! .

I went back to work with Ch2m Hill on July 25, 2005. I have done pretty well so far. I will have vertical sleeve gastrectomy surgery on August 30, 2005 down in San Francisco at California Pacific Medical Center with  Dr. John Rabkin doing the laparoscopic bariatric surgery.  I have to go in on the 29th to have some precautionary measures down before the surgery the next day.  For the next 3 weeks I will be working, yet taking it easy. I cannot have any issues before then.

Let me list a couple of Newsgroups that I have been turned on to by Pacific Laparoscopy.

PacLap – http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/DS_PacificLaparoscopy/

VS newsgroup – http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/sleevegastrectomy/

Some statistics before surgery.
Age: 35
Height: 6′
Weight: 325.5 Ibs
BMI 43.3

That will be it for now. I may or may not be back until after my weight loss surgery. Then I plan on keeping my Blog up-to-date with my progress.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.